You are here

Home » Individual Licensing » International Reciprocity

International Reciprocity

International recognition for professional accountants has become increasingly important in the current global business environment.  Washington recognizes the U.S. International Qualifications Appraisal Board (IQAB) approved agreements in part or in its entirety with several professional associations from other countries. 

To determine if your professional association has been accepted by IQAB, please view the list from NASBA’s International Qualifications Examination (IQEX)

If your professional association is not listed and you want to be licensed as a CPA in Washington, you will need to meet our education requirements to take the Uniform CPA Examination and meet all of the requirements for licensure.

If you are eligible, you will need to:

  1. Pass the International Qualifications Examination (IQEX) (or its CAQEX predecessor).
    • Provide verification of IQEX Exam score (must be submitted directly from NASBA)
  2. Verify that you have met the good character requirements by answering the attestation questions on the online CPA license application.
  3. Complete a course covering all of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct and obtain a score of 90% or better on the examination (8 hour minimum course length).
    • The course completion certificate indicating a score of 90% or better must be uploaded to your application.
  4. Verify that your experience is qualified and complete an Experience Affidavit.
    • The completed Experience Affidavit and a copy of your resume or summary of key job responsibilities must be uploaded to your application.
  5. Provide verification of licensure from your qualifying professional association.  
  6. Complete and submit an International Reciprocity application through our Online Services. ***We strongly suggest you use a personal email address to set up your Secure Access Washington account.***

CPA licenses will not be issued between November 1 and December 31 due to the 20-hour minimum annual CPE requirement.  Applications are still accepted, but will not be approved until the beginning of January. 

You may not use the title CPA until your license has been approved by the Board.

If you submit transcripts, education evaluations, experience documents, or any other documentation and do not follow through by submitting an application for initial licensure within one year, your documents will be destroyed.