Get Your First CPA License
To apply for your first Washington State CPA license as a Washington candidate, you will need to:
- Pass the CPA exam.
- Verify that you have met the good character requirements during your application process.
- Verify that your experience is qualified and complete an Experience Affidavit (Fillable PDF).
- The completed Experience Affidavit (PDF), and a copy of your resume or summary of duties, will need to be uploaded at the end of your application submission process.
- Complete a course and an examination on materials covering all of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct and obtain a score of 90% or better on the exam (8 hour minimum course length).
- Verify that you completed the course listed above by uploading the PDF at the end of your application submission process.
- Achieve and document a passing grade of 90% or better on a board delivered course covering the Washington State Public Accountancy Act, related Board Rules, and Board Policies.
- Washington State Ethics & Regulations for CPA Applicants study guide (PDF).
- Exam instructions.
- Verify that you completed the course listed above by uploading the certificate of completion at the end of your application submission process.
- Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE), only if it has been more than four years since you passed the CPA exam.
- Verify that you completed the required CPE by uploading the PDF documentation at the end of your application submission process.
- Verify that you have reviewed an example of what your CPE reporting period will be for your first renewal.
- Complete and submit the license application through our Online Services.
You may not use the title CPA until your license has been approved by the Board.
If you submit transcripts, education evaluations, experience documents or any other documentation and do not follow through by submitting an application for initial licensure within one year, your documents will be destroyed.
To view and print a PDF file, you must have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader loaded on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download the latest version directly from the Adobe web site.