Get Your First CPA License
To apply for your first Washington State CPA license as a Washington CPA Exam candidate, you will need to:
- Pass the CPA exam.
- Verify that you have met the good character requirements by answering the attestation questions on the online CPA license application.
- Verify that your experience is qualified and complete an Experience Affidavit.
- The completed Experience Affidavit and a copy of your resume or summary of key job responsibilities must be uploaded to your application.
- Complete a course covering all of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct and obtain a score of 90% or better on the examination (8 hour minimum course length).
- The course completion certificate indicating a score of 90% or better must be uploaded to your application.
- Watch the video, Washington CPA Essentials, and certify on the application that you have completed this requirement.
- Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE), only if it has been more than four years since you passed the CPA exam.
- The CPE course completion certificates or other acceptable CPE documentation, as described in WAC 4-30-138, must be uploaded to your application.
- Certify on your application that you have reviewed an example of what your CPE reporting period will be for your first renewal.
- Complete and submit the license application through our Online Services. ***We strongly suggest you use a personal email address to set up your Secure Access Washington account.***
You may not use the title CPA until your license has been approved by the Board.
If you submit transcripts, education evaluations, experience documents or any other documentation and do not follow through by submitting an application for initial licensure within one year, your documents will be destroyed.