Not Enough CPE to Renew
You can request a CPE extension for any reason per the updated CPE extension request rule effective January 1, 2020. The major changes are listed below. Please see WAC 4-30-134(3) for the full rule.
- CPE extension requests are no longer limited to cases of individual hardship.
- Any individual who fails to complete the required CPE by the end of their CPE reporting period can request an extension prior to their expiration date.
- An individual is only allowed one CPE extension in any two consecutive CPE reporting periods (six year period).
- Extension requests will be accepted from January 1 through June 30 of the renewal period.
- The self-reported deficiency (or prelapsed reinstatement) process has been eliminated.
How to Request a CPE Extension
- Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
- Submit a complete renewal application through your Secure Access Washington (SAW) account
- Answer the CPE completion questions appropriately indicating that your CPE was not completed by December 31
- Type “CPE Extension Request” in the explanation box
- Pay the renewal fee of $230 (Applications submitted after April 30 will be assessed a $100 late fee)
- Attach 120 hours of CPE documentation in the “Pending Reason(s)” section of the “Confirmation” page
Failure to complete the steps above by June 30 will result in a lapse of your credential.