You are here

Home » Individual Licensing » Not Enough CPE to Renew

Not Enough CPE to Renew

You can request a CPE extension for any reason per the updated CPE extension request rule effective January 1, 2020. The major changes are listed below. Please see WAC 4-30-134(3) for the full rule.

  • CPE extension requests are no longer limited to cases of individual hardship.
  • Any individual who fails to complete the required CPE by the end of their CPE reporting period can request an extension prior to their expiration date.
  • An individual is only allowed one CPE extension in any two consecutive CPE reporting periods (six year period).
  • Extension requests will be accepted from January 1 through June 30 of the renewal period.
  • The self-reported deficiency (or prelapsed reinstatement) process has been eliminated. 

How to Request a CPE Extension

  1. Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE)
  2. Submit a complete renewal application through your Secure Access Washington (SAW) account
    • Answer the CPE completion questions appropriately indicating that your CPE was not completed by December 31
    • Type “CPE Extension Request” in the explanation box
  3. Pay the renewal fee of $230 (Applications submitted after April 30 will be assessed a $100 late fee)
  4. Attach 120 hours of CPE documentation in the “Pending Reason(s)” section of the “Confirmation” page

Failure to complete the steps above by June 30 will result in a lapse of your credential.