You are here

Home » Individual Licensing » Get Your First Washington State License as an Out of State Candidate

Get Your First Washington State License as an Out of State Candidate

To apply for your first Washington State CPA license as an out of state candidate, you will need to:

  1. Meet the education requirements.
    • Submit official college transcripts (bearing an official seal) or a Foreign Education Evaluation Report from an Board recognized evaluation service showing that you completed this Board's education requirements in effect at the time you first sat for the CPA
      exam. You may apply course work taken after first sitting for the CPA exam and prior to submitting an application for licensure. 
    • Please note, a copy of the international transcript(s) must be included with the report sent to the Board for each individual evaluation from the evaluation service. The application will be considered incomplete without these documents.
  2. Pass the CPA exam.
    • Use this form to submit your CPA exam scores from other State Boards (must be submitted directly from that Board).
  3. Verify that you have met the good character requirements during your application process.
  4. Verify that your experience is qualified and complete an Experience Affidavit (Fillable PDF).
    • The completed Experience Affidavit (PDF), and a copy of your resume or summary of duties, will need to be uploaded at the end of your application submission process.
  5. Complete a course and an examination on materials covering all of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct and obtain a score of 90% or better on the exam (8 hour minimum course length).
    • Verify that you completed the course listed above by uploading the PDF at the end of your application submission process.
  6. Achieve and document a passing grade of 90% or better on a board delivered course covering the Washington State Public Accountancy Act, related Board Rules, and Board Policies.
  7. Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE), only if it has been more than four years since you passed the CPA exam.
    • Verify that you completed the required CPE by uploading the PDF documentation at the end of your application submission process.
  8. Verify that you have reviewed an example of what your CPE reporting period will be for your first renewal.
  9. Complete and submit the license application through our Online Services.

You may not use the title CPA until your license has been approved by the Board.

If you submit transcripts, education evaluations, experience documents or any other documentation and do not follow through by submitting an application for initial licensure within one year, your documents will be destroyed.