Get Your First Washington State License as an Out-of-State Candidate
To apply for your first Washington State CPA license as an out-of-state CPA Exam candidate, you will need to:
- Meet the education requirements.
- Submit official college transcripts (bearing an official seal) or a Foreign Education Evaluation Report from a Board recognized evaluation service showing that you completed this Board's education requirements in effect at the time you first sat for the CPA exam.
- You may apply course work taken after first sitting for the CPA exam and prior to submitting an application for licensure.
- If NASBA International Evaluation Services (NIES) evaluated your education previously for another jurisdiction, you will need to have NIES complete a Change in Jurisdiction Evaluation for Washington State before submitting your education to us.
- Pass the CPA exam.
- Use this form to submit your CPA exam scores from other State Boards (must be submitted directly from that Board).
- Verify that you have met the good character requirements by answering the attestation questions on the online CPA license application.
- Verify that your experience is qualified and complete an Experience Affidavit.
- The completed Experience Affidavit and a copy of your resume or summary of key job responsibilities must be uploaded to your application.
- Complete a course covering all of the AICPA Code of Professional Conduct and obtain a score of 90% or better on the exam (8 hour minimum course length).
- The course completion certificate indicating a score of 90% or better must be uploaded to your application.
- Watch the video, Washington CPA Essentials, and certify on the application that you have completed this requirement.
- Complete the required Continuing Professional Education (CPE), only if it has been more than four years since you passed the CPA exam.
- The CPE course completion certificates or other acceptable CPE documentation, as described in WAC 4-30-138, must be uploaded to your application.
- Certify on your application that you have reviewed an example of what your CPE reporting period will be for your first renewal.
- Complete and submit the license application through our Online Services. ***We strongly suggest you use a personal email address to set up your Secure Access Washington account.***
You may not use the title CPA until your license has been approved by the Board.
If you submit transcripts, education evaluations, experience documents, or any other documentation and do not follow through by submitting an application for initial licensure within one year, your documents will be destroyed.